A good breakfast is a need for most of us. It’s worth the time and effort to have a well-balanced one. What’s beneficial for one person’s health may not be great for another’s. Everyone’s definition of “eating healthy” is varied, and so is what constitutes a nutritious breakfast.
We’re not so certain that breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all. However, we do realize that a healthy breakfast may make a tremendous impact, not only on your day but on your holistic well-being. This collection of mouthwatering healthy breakfast recipes will give you the energy you need to start your day off right.
Avocado and Egg Toast
For the healthiest and most popular breakfast option, avocado toast might be the winner. This quick and healthy breakfast recipe calls for only a few ingredients and contains easy instructions for making a perfectly poached egg that is both visually appealing and delicious to eat.
- 1/2 avocado, mashed or chunky
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- 1 dash sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Lightly toast your bread, but keep it somewhat soft so that it retains some of its texture. The toppings will be difficult to eat if the bread is too crunchy.
- As much or as little as you like, mash your avocado to your desired consistency. Add a pinch of salt to the avocado.
- You can either poach or fry your egg, whatever you choose! Here is how you can perfectly poach an egg.
- Top the bread with the avocado spread. Add your egg on top. If you’d like, add a little hot sauce and a little more salt and pepper! Take a bite and soak in the experience!
Berry Banana Oat Smoothie
This is one of our favorite quick, nutritious breakfast recipes since you can make one in a few minutes and then take it with you to work or school in the mornings.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen berries
- 1 1/2 cups of soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- In a high-powered blender, put all the ingredients and blend until they are completely smooth.
- Add more non-dairy milk to the blender if the smoothie is too heavy for your taste, and keep blending the mixture until it reaches your desired consistency.
Spinach and Feta Breakfast Wrap
This filling and nutritious morning dish is similar to a Greek omelet wrapped in a tortilla. If you’re here for an on-the-go breakfast that doesn’t require a lot of time or effort, this is the recipe for you!
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 black olives, chopped
- 1 white or whole-wheat tortilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Bring a small sauté pan to medium heat. Toss in a half-tablespoon of butter to get things started. Allow the butter to soften and coat the pan.
- A small bowl is ideal for scrambling eggs. Season with salt and pepper and the remains of the butter bits. Add the egg mix to the pan and cook for a few minutes. Wait for a few seconds before gently pushing the cooked eggs with a spatula to let the raw egg cook.
- Add the spinach, right before the eggs are done cooking, and sauté everything together until it’s all hot and fluffy.
- Lay the eggs on the tortilla after removing them from the pan. Melted feta cheese and sliced black olives go nicely on top of the eggs.
- Wrap it up and eat it!
These were our top three picks for a nutritious start to the day. Whether it’s avocado on toast, a breakfast wrap, or a healthy smoothie, there’s no better way to start the day than with a filling meal. Remember, homegrown vegetables provide among the most flavorful ingredients in healthy breakfast recipes. To start growing your own food, pick up one of these fantastic garden toolsets.